Monday, May 9, 2011

Facebook Vs. Twitter...may the battle begin!

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm hooked on Twitter.

About two and a half years ago, one of my best friends suggested I go on Facebook. We were about to have our 20th high school reunion, and she said it would be a great way to connect with people before and after the reunion. So, I did.

Since then, Facebook has been a great resource for me. Not just in finding long-lost old friends, but also keeping up with long-distance cousins and family members. Then last year, after the 6th graders in my class told me they wanted to keep up with my literary accomplishments, I started my own "fan page". That's been pretty cool, and I have to admit, easier to keep up on than my blog. *cough, cough*

Then last Spring, on the recommendation of several friends and comments from the Kid Lit world, I decided to take the plunge into Twitter. I signed up, and then did nothing.

Within a few days, I found there were a few people following me even though I only made one or two tweets. Of course those people un-followed me and my poor twitter page went south.

For some reason, with the upcoming LA SCBWI conference coming up, I decided to blow the dust off my Twitter account and actually Tweet.

I'm here to tell you I am SSSSSSOOOOOO glad I did!

Within two weeks, I have just over 100 followers, have entered two pitch contests for my YA novels and got the inside scoop on an additional critique opportunity in LA. Plus, I have found a really fun, cool group of peers that I wouldn't have otherwise met.

So am I still using my Facebook, absolutely.

But unless something better comes along, I'm a tweeter for good. If you want to follow me, I'm @elabkwrm.

Have a great night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment