Saturday, August 28, 2010

Another WOW Saturday! Am I starting a new trend?

Okay, so it's another Saturday and I'm now getting around to my WOW . . . egads! Things have been quite crazy with my day job, so needless to say my 3 posts-a-week isn't quite happening right now. I'm still hoping once things calm down in the next week or two, I'll be back to normal.

Having said that, I need to get down to business . . .

The WOW for this week is:

IRIDESCENT!

Iridescent: 1. Producing a display of lustrous, rainbow-like colors.
2. Brilliant, lustrous or colorful in effect or appearance.

Iridescent is one of those special, unique words you don't see everyday. The kind you bring out during a special occasion . . . like when you bring out the fine china for an anniversary, or Thanksgiving.

In all the years I've been reading, it's one of the few words I rarely hear. However some 4 or 5 years ago, I was reading a Middle Grade novel that I had heard some good things about, and decided to give it a whirl. In the book, FLIPPED, by Wendelin Van Draanen, one of the main characters (Bryce) has a conversation with his grandpa regarding the other main character (Juli). The grandpa uses the word iridescent to describe Juli . . . saying how people like that are so incredibly colorful in their personality and beauty that nothing compares to knowing them.

The reason why I'm mentioning all this is because FLIPPED came out in the movie theaters earlier this month. Here's the trailer . . .



Sorry for the extended video border . . . having a hard time getting it to fit in my box.

I love this book so much . . . I hope everyone gets a chance to see just how iridescent all these characters are.

Have a great weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment