Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New BRW (Book review Wednesday)!

BRW #2 - The Future of Us by: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler

For this week's BRW, I decided to take a walk on the YA side of things. YA is generally where my kidlit taste tend toward since that's what I mostly write. However, this was the first novel (I'm sorry to say) I've read with the dual-author approach, but I'm glad to say it won't be the last.

I must fully disclose here that I am I huge fan of both Jay Asher (Thirteen Reason's Why) and Carolyn Mackler (The Earth, My Butt, and other Big Round Things & Tangled) and I had been following with bated breath both of their Facebook pages in anticipation of the book's release.

I am happy to say, the book far surpassed my expectations!

Not only did I enjoy the book's premise (about 2 teenagers in 1996 who unwittingly discover Facebook and use it as almost a time-travel portal of sorts), but the way Carolyn and Jay's voices blend as Emma and Josh makes you forget that these are fictional characters. It made me wonder why I haven't taken the time to read other novels like it (Let It Snow, Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, etc.) I will certainly be correcting that one...soon...

Here's the book's trailer:

The subject matter is fairly tame and I would have no problem letting my 13 year old read it. In fact I've already told her she can borrow it.

Needless to say, I finished the book within 48 hours and highly recommend it! If you have questions, feel free to comment.

Until next week....Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment