Monday, April 26, 2010

There's only so many hours in a day . . .

I did not get any writing done today. Does that bother me?? Heck ya!

There are few things in my life that give me complete and unmitigated joy:

1. Spending a relaxing day with my husband and three kids.
2. Sitting on a dock overlooking my favorite place in the world, Black Oak Lake.
3. Being so focused on a particular character that I NEED to work on his or her story.

Well, thankfully I got to spend Sunday doing the first one (although it's been a VERY long time since our last outing). I haven't been to Black Oak Lake in nearly 2 years, and it's been a couple of months since I've done #3.

It's been WAY too long since I've done #3!!

There's something about being so completely lost in someone else's world that feels, I don't know, comforting to me. It's not my life . . . and I can make it go any way I choose. It's the escape factor aspect of it. There's no husband, no kids, no pets, no attachments.

I've had a lot of personal stuff, and necessary editorial stuff, that has kept me from getting it out. I have a character right now, I have some seven chapters under my belt (not to mention a couple months of research invested in her), but yet everyday life seems to be getting in the way of my writing her story.

And I'm starting to miss her . . . desperately.

The good news is, things seem to be working themselves out and maybe, just maybe, I'll be back on track by the first of May. May Day . . . six months until my 40th birthday.

I think it's a sign . . . we'll see. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment